Sunday, June 13, 2010

Group D: Serbia 0 : Ghana 1


After being bored to death by Slovenia and Algeria and then overdosing on caffeine I found myself ready for Serbia - Ghana. The first question I have is: Why do the Serbian players all have to look so damn Serbian?

"I'm a world class defender and my facial bone structure is so damn slavic. Be afraid."



Growing up in Germany one finds oneself confronted with many Serbian stereotypes: They're aggressive, they love to foul whatever the sport, they'll pull a knife on you, etc, etc. Well watching this game did not exactly help dissociate the men from myth. Serbia played many hidden fouls that the referee did not pick up on. Especially Prince Tagoe who seemed to go down to easily at first but then somewhat turned into "The Soccer Player who cried foul". To furthermore advance Serbia's villain status the commentator announced that Milan Jovanovic's nickname was "The Serbian Snake" supposedly because of his dribbling skills. My brother commented, jokingly, that he thought Jovanovic probably got that nickname not on the filed but in the locker room. Either way I think he could not have found a nickname reinforcing my stereotypes more strongly.

I also have to admit that I underestimated the number of cheap haircut related jokes I would be able to make over the course of this blog. I'm thinking maybe I'll start a new thing called "Soccer Player Hair Cut of the Day"

Either way Ghana played more offensively than Serbia but did not manage to break through the well organized Serbian defense. Then a Serbian player got sent off and, ironically, it was Serbia that seemed more dangerous for a few minutes. Ghana's goalkeeper Richard Kingson made a crucial safe. Then Kuzmanovic (who plays for my hometown club VFB Stuttgart. sniff sniff) had a very obvious handball. Asamoah Gyan scored the resulting penalty leading to the first soccer related on-pitch African dancing, since the day before. In the end I think it was a fair result but it I'm a bit scared because Ghana is a offensively well-oriented team and Serbia's defense a wall of fire that might burn some of the more light-weight German attacking players.




No comments:

Post a Comment