Monday, June 14, 2010

Group E: Netherlands 2 : Denmark 0



I know the Netherlands are supposed to be Germany's main rival in soccer, but I can't help myself: I just like them. I mean just look at them. They're so adorable.



The worst stereotypes about them have to do with produce: Shitty tomatoes, cheap tulips. I mean is that really everything!? You should hear the shit I have to deal with. I remember this one kid who after he found out I was German just had to comment: "German huh? We really whooped your ass in World War II, didn't we?"
We did?!!! I didn't! You look really good for your age man.
By the way it wasn't the Americans that whooped anyone's ass. It was the Soviets. Sheesh.
But back the subject. The dutch or Oranje as their national team called is just so lovely and peaceful just like their country. I mean you'll never see a dutch tank in orange colors.



Okay uhm nevermind that last part. I guess generalizations only tell you so much. To the soccer now. The Netherlands are one of the most exciting sides at this World Cup. Whether it be their conductor Wesley Sneijder, who orchestrated Inter Milans impressive treble win. (serie A, italian cup and champions league) or the amazing dribbler Arsenals Robin van Persie or Rafael Van der Vaart or Arjen Robben or Dirk Kujt or or, or, or. You get the point.

The Dutch' main problem has never been their offense but their defense. Not that it is particularly weak but it doesn't match up to how dominating their attacking players have been in the past. This if of course a result of their playing philosophy. They love to play fast attacking football usually with a 4-3-3 formation. Gio van Brockhorst is already 35 years old and nobody has to run more than the wing backs (he's tooooo old!). Today they defeated Denmark without too many problems but Denmark is an old side that doesn't have the speed of some of the other teams. A match-up with some of the faster sides like Spain or Brazil or (amazingly now too) Germany will certainly put the dutch defense to the test.

The Danish may be an old side but they're also an experienced side and have a great deal of talented (and younger) defensive players. Still I think the lack of more esprit upfront punished the Danish today. Then again admittedly the goal for Danish in this match was nothing more than a draw and in the end the result was unfortunate for them since the Dutch goals were rather lucky (I mean one was an owl goal you can't get luckier than that). The Dutch really never started the offensive firework they promised (It was boring) and I can only hope that when Robben returns from injury they'll pick it up (please Robben play else I will stab myself in the eye ball) Of course with a side as offensively talented as the Dutch you have to assume you're going to conceive a goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment