Thursday, June 17, 2010

Group A: What the fuck????????????



He can't help you anymore!!! sniff.


Group A took be my surprise. Yesterday I was still in shock about poor South Africa getting derailed by Uruguay. Uruguay play way to defensively for my taste and won't get too many sympathy fans that way. Still, given their recent World Cup record it is understandable. They just would like to win a game once in a while and now they have achieved just that against the host. The 3:0 score line looks more dominating than the game really was but they did deserve the win. Diego Forlan has been playing absolutely brilliant.

The importance for his team is exemplified by the fact that he takes free kicks and corners even though as a forward his job is to stand in front of the goal and complain to the referee.I kid you forwards. I was one myself but to be honest we're a lazy bunch. Just walk around next to the central defender, talk some shit about his mom and how fucking ugly his cleats are and when we get the ball guard it till wingers come forward, pass it to them, run in the box and hold your foot or your head out. Essentially.)

He has a great vision and shows an intelligence on the pitch that some with even more talent lack (I'm thinking Fruuuuhnk Ribery - but more to that later). More than once I found myself mesmerized by his piercing blue eyes and perturbing jaw bones. If I was Bella I would have chosen him over Edward a long time ago. (Wait is this not the Twilight fan fiction blog?)


Diego Forlan - Vampire of Uruguayan girl hearts sucks the air out of South African vuvuzelas

Enough with such flamboyant man-crushery. I'm very sorry South Africa. I wish your team had done better but you should be proud. The draw with Mexico was absolutely unexpected and a great achievement. I wish you had gotten an easier group like USA (Slovenia? pff and what's that other team Ingeland?) Either way I hope you whoop France's ass in your last game and go out with a bang.

Now to France. So France just lost 2:0 to Mexico and they absolutely deserved it. I had been rooting for France until about the 60th minute. I've been a fan of French football since Zinedine Zidane stepped on the world stage. I remember when France gave Brazil an ass-whooping so intense that one just felt baaaaad for them. Zidane is the greatest playmaker of all time in my opinion and so this World Cup has been a transitionary period for me. I just can't fathom how this equipe has taken Zidane's legacy and wiped their backsides with it. There's Frank Ribery. The hugely talented WINGER how today was used as a PLAYMAKER which did not go so well because he has this thing called TUNNELVISION. My blog entry about France's glorious goalless draw against Uruguay could essentially be pasted in here. I think I deserve some sort of pundit prize because I analyzed the situation so well. Here's what I wrote:

What France needs is a vision. What they have instead is a midfield of highly gifted players that seem to have no idea what the hell they're supposed to do out there exactly. Ribery, arguably one of the top 5 wingers in the world, more than once decided to dribble himself into oblivion. He may beat two or three defenders but number four usually denied him his glory


They absolutely learned NOTHING from the clever things I wrote. Raymond Domenech should read my blog, but he rather asks the horoscope for tactical consultation (I'm completely fucking serious). Here's the moment I stopped rooting for France. Ribery got the ball in front of the Mexican defensive line, Anelka moved beautifully into space waiting for a pass that would slice the Mexican defense like butter. Turns it IT WASN"T FUCKING BUTTER. I can't believe it. Instead he decided to dribble to the left. He got fouled. France gets a free kick. Ribery hammers it into the wall. Three Mexicans on the counterattack. Toulalan has to foul so that they won't score. He gets a yellow. Toulalan got a yellow because Ribery wouldn't pass. In that moment I said: That's it. I'm rooting for Mexico. You guys don't deserve to mow Zidane's lawn. The Mexicans on the other hand... Because they played so well!!!! Is what I mean...

It looks like Mexico and Uruguay will advance. The game between them will very exciting because they both need to win in order to avoid playing Argentina in the round of Last 16. In other, news I'm off now to put 10 bucks on South Africa 2 : France 0

2 comments: